Despite not playing for the Blues this season after breaking his ankle training with the Red Devils back in June, Hazard was handed a shock call-up by manager Roberto Martinez for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Gibraltar and Greece.
Although Antonio Conte stated his surprise at the decision, the 26-year-old could well be given game time against in one of both of his country’s games this week.
Having himself decided against playing for the Blues last year on his comeback from an injured ankle, Courtois feels his teammate must step aside if not at full fitness.
“He loves playing with the [Red] Devils, he loves playing for his country,” said Courtois. “So if he feels good to play, he’s going to play.
“Having said that, I experienced that last year. I had an injured ankle, the club wanted me to play against Manchester United. I didn’t feel 100 percent.
“At that time, it was better to step aside for someone who is 100 percent and can give their all.
“Eden will say after the training sessions if he feels good or not.”
If Hazard does take to the pitch for Belgium on Thursday evening, the goalkeeper has warned that it will take time for the midfielder to get back to his best form.
“You mustn’t forget that he broke an ankle. It takes time to get your rhythm back. He missed pre-season,” added the goalkeeper.
“You cannot expect to see him play the best game of his career in those conditions. You have to be careful.
“He’s training well, feels better day after day and if he plays, it’ll be the coach’s decision, not mine.”
Will Chelsea make any new signings before the transfer window closes? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.